FICS Client - Windows Linux Mac

janus

FICS Client - Windows Linux Mac

Post by janus »

:happy-jumpeveryone:

New Windows, Mac and Linux Client for FICS
Pearl Chess - A Port of Lantern for Worlds Oldest Chess Server

Post by adams161 » Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:27 pm

I've ported my lantern chess client to FICS.
http://www.pearlchess.com/
This is also open source and link to source on above page. Hope to be in Microsoft Store by May. I'm sure now on windows download has message this is infrequently downloaded, but store download should fix that issue. Mac installer is signed and there wont be same warnings there.
Has Stockfish analysis in examine or observe mode, tons of boards and pieces, an opening explorer, logs games to PGN game files, opens PGN. and highly customizable including wallpaper.
I worked on pearl in two periods in 2022 kind of getting it going and decided to finish up this last month. This is still a beta but first beta bug free enough and feature complete enough for me to make installers. About only major feature missing now is game lists. Its porting lantern client to fics so work on game lists would be hooking up the data to existing lantern game list ui to put that in context.

FICS is an older chess server. In fact there is an argument is the worlds oldest if you believe its the true heir of the original ICS server which i've tended to conclude it is over the years. It's declined over the years i believe in part from lack of interface support. But they still got games. If anyone wants, open up seek graph and play some chess.